Friday, January 27, 2012

Sequestration and popcorn.


Today I begin my three day sequestration in preparation of taking my California insurance exam on Monday. I have been studying night and day in the living and breathing insurance for the past two weeks. I have not felt this way since college. I feel like I am cramming for my finals all over again.
If anybody out there has any hints, tips or tricks, I would appreciate the comment back. 

I have always known my subject matter very thoroughly, but has never had a really strong test taking skills set.
I am also in the final stages of signing a franchise agreement with doc popcorn. I don't know if any overview have heard of them, but they are the little popcorn stands that you see at some sporting events and in large shopping centers. I almost decided not to but had a personal experience that is reaffirmed this diversification plan.

I am trying to teach my 10-year-old son responsibility. He is about to cross over from Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts and every previous year, we have always paid for his scout camp. This year I thought it would be a good idea that he earn his own money to pay for his first Boy Scout camp. After brainstorming for a few days, my son and I came up with the idea to sell popcorn. The intention was to sell 4 cups bags of my addicting popcorn for $.50 each. In four short days, my son had already earned $40, simply by selling popcorn. He would still be doing this, if he had not gotten in trouble at school for having a longer line than the cafeteria did. Even though he is unable to sell his popcorn at school, he is still selling it to friends and neighbors; albeit at a far lower volume.

I realized that not only did I teach my son responsibility; I am also teaching them how to be an entrepreneur.

There many times in business that the best made plans, don't pan out because of a simple technicality that was previously been considered. My son and I never thought that his project would become large enough to attract the attention of the administrators at his school. And even if it did, we were unaware of any conduct guidelines that would permit him from selling popcorn on campus.

Well, it turned out that both events happened. 

The administration not only took notice, but thought that selling popcorn was a disruption during the children's lunch breaks and recess; it also appears that selling, non-school, fundraising items on campus is indeed a violation of their ethics policy, which was so buried in the student acceptance packet that nobody other than the administration knew that it existed. 

Even against this type of opposition, my son and I simply decided to change our business method. Instead of selling it at school we are now selling it throughout the neighborhood and through other acquaintances. 

My son is still getting orders and I, I'm still making popcorn for him. But he is now thinking of new, innovative ways in order to sell his popcorn. The latest is to open up a lemonade stand in our front yard, over the weekend, and sell popcorn and lemonade (by the way, incidentally, we will also have Girl Scout cookies available). My son has learned not only to overcome adversity, but also to retain that entrepreneurial spirit.

For as much of a pain in the neck as my children are, many times they can teach me lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment