A Common Mistake
I have been in the process of investigating new business opportunities and in this search have become the target of many people in the sales field.
Every salesperson is in such a hurry to tell me how wonderful their product is and how it will solve every one of my problems that nobody is truly listening for the solution that I'm looking for.
This shouldn't come as a surprise because as we all know salespeople are people- people and are really gifted at self-pre-ambulation. Generally within 10 seconds of introducing themselves and their company a sales rep will immediately go in to a description of their product and service and about the history.
While this is not necessarily a bad thing, I would prefer the first point of the conversation to focus around me as the customer. What are my needs? How would the service you provide relieve my business pain?
And if you think that I am slamming sales reps, I am not. The stark realization came this morning when, as I was describing my new finance products to a new prospect, the prospect informed me that he was in the process of selling his assets and would not be seeking any type of financing.
I was so elated to finally speak to a decision-maker, that I didn't properly qualify him as a true prospect.
My amateurism is showing.
Luckily, after actually taking the time to listen I was able to find a buyer for this customer's assets. Now, I did break the cardinal rule and did not make any money on the transaction, but, I hope that karma will see fit to return the favor later down the line.
I hope that it at least one or two people are finding this blog useful. If you enjoy reading my daily ranting’s, take this opportunity to let me know what you would like to hear about in the future. I can discuss transportation credit, collections tools, skip tracing, and when in doubt, I have several more recipes that I can bring out.
Thanks,
John
No comments:
Post a Comment