Thursday, August 18, 2011

Balance and Paintings


I would like to take this moment to confess, that I am true art lover. I love paintings. I like the colors, the brushstrokes, the texture, the way they lighten up the room, and I enjoy the way that a true work of art can stir the soul. I try to surround myself with good works of art. I find them inspiring and uplifting, which, depending on the day is generally well needed.
This morning, I thought to myself if companies were paintings, what kind of painting with our company be? Would we be a work of art or, would we be graffiti on a wall? Is our portfolio a work of art or a work of vandalism?
What drives the quality of our portfolio? What is our acquisition drive?

In short, are we and our portfolio in balance?

Let me ask you these questions:
  • Is your company sales and volume driven?
  • Is your company driven by credit quality?
  • Is your company opportunity driven?
  • If your company is sales and volume driven; how is the quality of your portfolio?
  • If your company is driven by credit quality; are you passing up profitable business opportunities?
  • If most of your business is acquired by simple opportunity:
    • How are your yields?
    • Do you really understand the transaction?
    • Why did somebody else walk from the deal?
    • Are you changing your business model without even knowing it?
When in balance, there is nothing wrong with taking an opportunity when it comes as long as you know what you're getting into. There is nothing wrong in taking a small portion of deals at a higher level of risk, as long as it is structured appropriately and, there is nothing wrong in knowing when to be conservative.
When in balance, these traits will fit together like puzzle pieces and create a true work of art. When not in balance, the picture will be graffiti. 

What pictures are you painting?
Finding new business is always a tightrope walk that we all must walk.
But, from my point of view, it's easier to walk a tightrope when well-balanced.
Enjoy your diet Pepsi and continue surfing the waves.
Thanks, 
John

No comments:

Post a Comment