Why are you in business?
This is perhaps the most basic question that you could ever ask yourself, yet it is most often overlooked. When you got into this business what were the reasons?
- Were you looking for money?
- Were you looking for prestige?
- Were you looking for job satisfaction?
- Were you looking for a sense of accomplishment?
- All of the above?
How have these personality traits affected your business?
I for one am mostly about money. Don’t get me wrong, there is a fair amount of EGO mixed in as well but, I strive for the level of security that money (in our society) brings. I like the fact that I can adequately support my family. I also enjoy the sense of accomplishment that comes with the creation of a company, especially when the company succeeds. That is my drive. That is what I love. And aside from my family (and writing music) it is my greatest passion.
It is the focus on long-term measurable success that keeps me well-grounded. I always have my eyes to the future. I always ponder the cause and effect of every decision that I make.
In my mind, I am always thing “What are the effects….” I have also been told that I have the attention span of a caffeinated gnat. I am always in “What If…” mode. I am always trying to determine multiple outcomes of many scenarios. That is who I am.
I am: What if…; What are the effects….
If I am so hyper active, why do I believe in cautious growth? Why do I want to slow down the speed of the lending/leasing process?
For one simple reason; the third part of my over-active thought process. The “What am I missing….” question.
It’s this third part of my brain that keeps the rest in balance.
My thought process always goes something like this:
- Can we do THIS?
- Should we do THIS?
- Do we know what THIS is?
- What happens if we do THIS?
Sometime when we are addressing a new or unknown situation, it can take some time to answer these questions.
In today’s leasing environment, it appears that the mindset is more like:
Can we do Th……JUMP!!!!
Once you are in the air, it is generally too late to worry about the landing.
I hope that you are finding this blog enlightening. I know that it has been for me.
Enjoy your MIO and ride the wave of life!!!
John
No comments:
Post a Comment