Hiccups and Hurdles
This morning I had what I consider to be a great disappointment. I appear to gained almost 4 pounds even though I've been following a strict diet and exercise plan. For the past six months, I have focused on my caloric intake to the point where it is become an obsession and up until now I have been losing at least 2 pounds a week. However, this past week I gained weight. (Bummer, huh?)
I realized that I had two options that lay before me: I could either get frustrated and give up the diet and continue being overweight and sluggish or I can get frustrated in a more productive manner and determine what the cause of this weight gain was and fix it.
I chose the second option and preliminary results show that it was not the calories themselves that caused my weight gain, but the types of calories that I was eating. During this past week I had unwittingly allowed a higher percentage of fat content in my diet. It began with a simple act of adding margarine to piece of toast and progressed to allowing myself a ”diet”, sugar-free ice cream sandwich twice in one week. For the average Joe, this would not have been an issue. However, for me, it led to 4 pounds. A 4 pound weight gain is undoing two weeks’ worth of work and two weeks of work is not worth an ice cream sandwich.
What does this have to do with truck finance you ask? On the surface; not a thing. However, on my drive in, I asked myself “How often do I face setbacks at work?”, “How do I react to them?”
I would submit to you that setbacks are not a bad thing. In my case, the 4 pound weight gain made me realize that I was starting to slip into old habits, as far as my diet is concerned.
This setback was a great wake-up call.
I am now attempting to view setbacks as opportunities for improvement. After all, a setback let us know when a current process is insufficient or reminds us that an action may not have been thoroughly thought through.
What is your opinion? How do you overcome your setbacks?
As always, enjoy your beverage of choice and ride the wave of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment