A Plan to Fail
Sometimes the best laid out plans fail. This is a point of business life. Even though the plan itself may be perfect, it is possible that market conditions have changed between the time you designed the plan and time of execution. It's at times like these that you must be adaptable and be willing to change either your business model, short or long-term planning. It is times like these, especially when dealing with a tumultuous market such as transportation that separates the men from the boys. Your success depends on adaptability, tenacity and integrity. It takes a leader with a sense of responsibility to realize when an in-depth plan no longer fits market segment you are chasing and it takes a leader who is able to brush aside their ego and admit that there's been a miscalculation in order to ensure progression.
I am going through a situation in my business life where my market segment has been scaled back by 80% due to factors that are not market driven. I have been informed that this is temporary and I am currently taking the time to redesign our policies and procedures and even have our software rewritten but, I am still trying to determine if this constriction is really temporary. Today, while sitting at my desk pondering this, the thought came to my mind; “What if this is my new market?” “Can I adapt?” “What needs to be done to ensure success?”
I have made these following decisions, mostly for myself:
- I will adapt.
- I will make my own market segment.
- I will succeed
This may be because of my tenacious nature, but I am determined to succeed even when obstacles are placed before me, and when it seems the deck has been stacked against one of my programs.
It is true that sometimes the best laid out plans and fail, however it is only a true failure when you fail to adapt and adjust your plan in order to meet your company's needs.
Lesson Learned .
Now back to my flavored water and business.
John
No comments:
Post a Comment