Why is it that whenever we receive constructive criticism. Our first reaction is to get defensive?
Earlier this morning, I was advised by somebody reading my blog on a social network, that because of my tagline, my various posts came across to several individuals as “Lot Lizard Marketing.”
My first reaction was one of self-defense. I thought how could I have come off as a lot lizard? This is something I detest and consider him very unprofessional, and I am not usually unprofessional.
I then took this opportunity to be OPEN, which isn't always the easiest thing to do especially when it's something that I consider to be rather personal.
The reason I write this blog is not for profit and not to come off as a complete “know it all” because, I certainly don't.This is a forum that allows me to think aloud, brainstorm and enjoy the feedback of others. It was while thinking this thought, that I became really irked at myself.
If I really enjoy the feedback of others, why was I feeling defensive?
The answer in this case is fairly simple it is because I was not being “OPEN”.
I had allowed myself to be close minded and stubborn. I kept thinking “how could something as simple as a tagline be offensive?”
Once I had realized that I had become close minded it was easier for me to move my mind into an OPEN position and once I was in an OPEN frame of mind I realized that, to some people I can seem overly abrasive.
I may not change my mannerisms or content because I am who I am, but I can improve my communication methods and my ability to receive unbiased feedback.
Looking at the situation from a neutral point of view, I quickly realized that a new tagline probably would encourage more people to read my ramblings.
So, I now have a new tagline.
How often have you found yourself being defensive and then later, even though you never admit it to anybody, found out that maybe the person was right and that you needed that correction?
Maybe this defensiveness started when we were children, but I think as adults we have outgrown the protections that the self-defensiveness once proffered.
I, for one, am not afraid to be wrong. I am also secure enough to be OPEN. This doesn't mean that I won't fight back if I know that I'm right but, it does mean that I'm willing to question myself and the decisions that I make. It is my belief that this helps me learn.
So if anybody has any recommendations for new tagline, feel free to leave a comment.
Be open,
John
PS- If anybody needs Transportation Night Tickets for tonight at Knott's, shoot me an email: Jwales@crlease.com
No comments:
Post a Comment