Friday, September 9, 2011

What does integrity mean to you?

This has always been one of my favorite interview questions and I've always found surprising that very few of my candidates even know what integrity means. Part of me is not surprised in this day and age but, you would've thought somebody with a four-year degree with at least know the dictionary definition.

To me integrity means holding true to my religious views and my work ethic. It means being honest in my dealings with my fellow man (and woman). It means being virtuous and the living the Golden Rule.

I have seen, within my own limited experience, just how a lack of integrity can destroy a company. 

Integrity must be fostered at the highest levels and trickle-down as expectations which then become part of the culture. Integrity cannot be written as part of a company statement; it cannot be said in company meetings and in short, if you need to advertise the fact that you have a high level integrity, chances are you don't.

I am appalled at a personal level, by some of the politics, backroom deals, and maneuvering that I have seen recently at several companies. In each case, these actions are rationalized as “being for the better good of the business”. This is not the case, backroom deals and other unethical behavior is always caused by pure cowardice. 

It is usually perpetrated by persons or groups of people that not have the “balls” to advertise their real agenda. Sometimes this agenda is a covert change in business model, sometimes this agenda is used to sway perception and every time it is used to catch another party unawares. Whenever this type of action takes place, it is always to unbalance a fair scale. To me, not only is this pure cowardice, it is also a complete lack of integrity.

Cowardice cannot coexist with true integrity.

I live by one simple principle and it is the same principle but I expect of my coworkers, my friends and my family.

Live with integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment