Have you ever asked somebody what time it was, only to be told how to build a clock?
Have you ever started a simple process only to find out that you must jump through three hoops, do several back flips, a quick rain dance, run half a mile all on that spelling a full glass of water, balanced on the top of your head?
I guess you could call that last statement and exaggeration but I'm sure sometimes you felt that it only slightly exaggerates the effort that you needed to exert to get something accomplished.
In our age of technological advancement, it seems that we've become a society based in pure complication. In the finance industry, it is very important that everything be done with exactness as it affects the collectability of the transaction.
Is there a way to balance this need for exactness with the need for a smooth customer experience? Is there a way to get to the basics without making the customer jump through hoops? Is it absolutely necessary to verify every single minute detail of a cookie-cutter transaction or would it be prudent just to address the basics?
Some say the solution for this lies in the use of technology, while others say that it's a simple matter of process efficiency. I believe it's both.
I believe that most companies become so focused on building the car that they forget the whole purpose of the car is to get from point A to point B as efficiently as possible. In a similar manner, the only reason for clock is to tell the time.
Building a clock may be extremely complicated and it may indeed be a true work of art to get it to work right.
I have some news for you.
As a customer, I don't care.
As a customer, I want to know what time it is. I don't necessarily want to know what gear fits into what.
If you and your company can consistently and accurately give me the time when I need it, you will get my business. I don't care how complicated your clock is, I need to focus on my own business.
We as representatives are companies need to remember the only reason we build a car is to get from point A to point B. In the end, we are less concerned about how fancy the car is and more concerned about the reliability and efficiency of it.
Are you telling your customers how to build a clock or simply telling them the time.
In this age of complication simplicity is our best friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment