Monday, September 5, 2011

Customer Service Lessons we can learn from Thomas the Engine


 
For those of you, who don't know me or my family personally; let me tell you a little bit about my son. He is very tall for his age and he is obsessed with trains. He loves trains and therefore we spent most of his formative years watching Thomas the Tank Engine (http://www.thomasandfriends.com ). Over and over and over; He has watched this show enough, to the point, that he knows every steam engine on sight, by number, by color, by the whistle sound they make, and even by personality traits.
So why am I mentioning a children's TV show in a business blog? The reason why is that several of the traits that are encouraged amongst these little tank engines should also be encouraged in our business environment and would go a long way in improving our relationships with our peers and customers.

Let me explain.

First, what is it that we are truly looking for in a customer service experience?
  1. Our customers expect us to be really useful.
  2. Our customers expect us to be reliable and on time.
  3. Our customers resent ”confusion and delay”
  4. Our customers don't care if we're the biggest engine are not, they want most reliable and valuable service.
Secondly, what can we learn from the management perspective?
  1. The controller (Sir Topham Hat) clearly defines expectations and takes the additional second step of communicating how to achieve those expectations.
  2. The controller has created an environment in which reliability, value and prompt service is expected not only by his customers, but by his engines (employee’s)
  3. There are rewards for success and learning lessons for failure. Each engine knows when they have not met their goal and knows the root cause for failing to meet their requirements.
  4. Each individual is aware of their part and it is their responsibility to the larger company.
I have used these tools in giving my son encouragement when he needs it and discipline when he fails to meet his responsibilities. I have often asked him if he was being “really useful” or, if he was causing “confusion and delay”. This seems to resonate with him at his level and for now seems to be a good educational tool. I hope this lasts into his teenage years, but I'm pretty doubtful that it will.

So in summary what have I learned from Thomas the Tank Engine? Here are some of the questions that I ask myself:
  1. Is the product or program that I'm designing “really useful”
  2. Are we delivering customer service that is reliable and on time?
  3. Are we creating a team where expectations are clearly defined in order to provide superior customer service?
  4. Are we creating a culture of “Value” and "Reliability"?
  5. Are aware of our customers’ needs and, when appropriate, are we making every effort to meet those?
I never thought that I would be able to learn and apply any lessons from a children's TV show into real life. And I guess that I need to be more observant and diligent in seeking out educational opportunities so as I finish this article, let me ask you a single question.

Are you a really useful engine?”

No comments:

Post a Comment