Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Innovation


What was innovative, two years ago, is old news today.

I was going through a box of my old stuff yesterday and pulled out a large object that weighed about 4 pounds and was black and gray in color. As I pulled this device out of its box, my children stared at it rather inquisitively trying to figure out exactly what it was. After playing a game of 20 questions that lasted for several minutes, I finally told them what this large brick like item was.

It was my first cell phone.

I remember this device fondly. I remember paying $20 a month for 20 minutes and thinking that I would never use that many minutes throughout the month. I remember thinking, that in conjunction with my pager, that this was the ultimate in mobile communication. 

For the time, it was.

I also remember my first home computer. It was a Commodore 64 with a brand-new top-of-the-line 2 MB external hard drive. Wow, this was an ultimate computer. 
 I also remember my first Windows PC. Windows 3.1. I was actually able to run two programs simultaneously. That was innovative.

All this innovation, led to further innovation and precept upon precept, line upon line, the technology became more complicated and more productive. 

Our technology has improved at such a rapid pace that today's children have no idea what a record player is or what a cassette tape looks like. I still find it rather entertaining them my children did not know what the mystery device was.

This goes to show that even though you may be innovative in your time, unless you expand upon that innovation, searching for continuous improvement, that you will become as obsolete as my first cell phone and my first computers. 
 Technology did not change overnight, but at a rapid succession that changed the way our society interacted with our environment and with each other. 

Each initial innovation was added to, or expanded upon in order to meet customer needs. I, at one point in time, was considered very innovative. But, just because I was innovative in the past, doesn't mean that I am innovative now.

I ask myself on a weekly basis: “What have I done to make myself and the company I represent better?”
I strive on a daily basis to continue with that innovative spirit and expand my knowledge and ideas in a step-by-step progression. Some days this works well and some days it doesn't. But, I make every attempt to keep marching forward.

How do you encourage innovation in your company?

No comments:

Post a Comment