Monday, October 17, 2011

The Total customer experience

Okay here I go on another rant, because of another personal experience.

I recently had the opportunity on a business trip to eat out twice in the same day. This is something I usually try to avoid because I am increasingly becoming more focused on my calories and weight.
(I still haven't broken through my wall but, I continue to try) 

The first restaurant of the day was a local Chinese restaurant just outside of Dallas Texas, which served surprisingly, Chinese food.  

I waited in line with the other herd of cattle, paid for my food, and sat down and ate lunch. The food at this restaurant was tolerable, nothing really special, but they didn't make me sick or make me feel like I was way down. All in all it was okay but nothing special.

My second meal of the day, dinner was at a relatively nice Italian restaurant which surprisingly, served Italian food.
I could tell by the ambiance as I walked into the front doors that the management at this restaurant focuses more attention on the overall dinner experience rather than just focusing on good food. As I walked in I was warmly welcomed and thanked for my business and given a selection of tables. The waiter was very attentive to my needs selling my water glass up every time it dipped below half-full. The food was remarkable and the environment made me feel extremely welcome.


One could look back and say that each restaurant has a different target clientele. To a point, I would agree with this however, the Italian restaurant made me feel like I was welcome and not another head of beef walking into the door. 

The difference, in my opinion, was the focus. The Chinese restaurant focused on the food while the Italian restaurant focused on the entire experience.Another thought that some of you might be having is that the Italian restaurant is probably far more expensive and geared towards a more exclusive customer.

Would it surprise you if I told you that I lunch at the Chinese food restaurant was actually more expensive than that of my dinner at the Italian restaurant?

In the day-to-day grind of trying to develop business are we focusing on the customer’s transaction or are we taking into account the entire experience?

I know personally, after eating at the Italian restaurant. I felt ripped off by the Chinese food restaurant. The food was edible and the restaurant met my expectations. However, the Italian restaurant delivered more than what I expected and made me feel valued as a customer. 


How would you market the entire customer experience rather than a transaction to your customer base?

No comments:

Post a Comment