Throughout all my management training and through all of my experience managing people in the past, I have always been told that there is no “I” in team. Up until recently I solidly subscribed to this philosophy.
I have now rethought this concept.
Maybe it is because I have redefined the letter “I”. Rather than using it as self-serving selfish sort of way, couldn't “I” also stand for Individual?
If looked at from this perspective shouldn't team be spelled “tIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIeam”?
A true team is a group of individuals with varying skill sets focused on the same target.
In football, you have the wide receiver the tight end, the center and the running back, all have different duties, responsibilities, and individual goals however, in a championship team, each of these individual goals is aligned to the philosophy of the quarterback and coach.
When looking at a team from the specific perspective, there two things that stand out.
First, each individual and the team must be aware of a clear and defined larger goal and the school must be clearly communicated and encouraged to the entire team.
Secondly, it shows how vital the communication is between the quarterback and the coach. If there is a misalignment in this relationship, the misalignment flows down to the entire team, which affects the performance of the team and in most cases, will be counterproductive.
From this point of view, there are several “I’s” in team.
- Each individual is aware of the larger goal and whether responsibilities are within that goal.
- Each individual then aligns themselves and their teams with that larger goal.
- Each individual (and their team) then has the responsibility and ownership for the success (or failure) of their portion of the process.
This point of view also highlights importance of maintaining a consistent strategic goal.
If a company's strategic goal is changed on a daily basis, (Usually caused by an opportunistic focus rather than a strategic one) there will always be a lag in disseminating this information through the entire chain of command, causing an inconsistency and misalignment to your main goal (but that's another blog post).
I have come to realize that building a team does not mean eradicating any sense of individualism, but rather encourages and focuses it towards a common goal.
No comments:
Post a Comment