Yesterday morning and conversation with a prospective client, I was asked: “What makes YOU special?”
I went on to explain my track record of success and gave this client a brief overview of how this was accomplished to which he replied: “I know your track record and I know what you're capable of, but there are many other companies out there that do the same thing you do and can offer a very similar service. What sets you apart from them?”
I responded to this question with one word.
“Integrity”
- I do not ever over-promise and under deliver.
- I do not ever agree to do something that is ethically questionable.
- I do show respect to all of my colleagues and respect their input.
After making these points, he commended me on the strength my character, but informed me that he would not be a good fit as a debt source for my new company or as a possible employer. It appears that not many companies are comfortable in the owner operator segment of the transportation industry.
The good thing is, that I made a very favorable impression and even though I do not have any debt source or a new employer, I now have a new networking, peer.
And all this begins with a simple question.
“What makes you special?”
I would submit to you that this question not only affects us personally that can be related to her individual companies. What of my favorite authors, Seth Godin, described it very succinctly.
- “Are you remarkable?”
- “Are those remarks positive?”
- “Are you the purple cow?” (You might want to Google that one)
True business growth does not come from advertising dollars spent or from our direct marketing efforts. Any gain by these will only be temporary. True growth comes from being truly remarkable and from being special on a consistent basis.
In summary, I will close to this blog with asking you a simple question:
“What makes you special?”
And yes, I'm still looking for either a solid employment opportunity or, a debt source interested in assisting me build this company. As I've said in previous blogs, I am willing to take any losses provided that the credit decisioning and collections and servicing are provided by my company.
Thanks,
John
No comments:
Post a Comment