Yesterday I did not post my blog as I usually do and I received many e-mails and phone calls from people following my blog wanting to make sure I was okay. For some reason, many people thought that because I did not post anything and, considering my current employment situation, that something had gone terribly wrong.
First, it was great to know that so many people pulling for me that care about my situation. I feel very blessed to be surrounded by so many good people.
Secondly, the reason for me not posting was far simpler than most people realize.
I did not have anything to say.
From my point of view, if there is nothing to say and I could not think of anything useful to communicate what would be the purpose of writing this blog?
I've seen this in the sales process as well.
How many times have we talked ourselves out of a sale simply because we felt like we needed to speak? I know that I've done it, probably more than I realize. It has taken me many years to realize that if the person I am engaging with is not talking then they are not truly engage. I make every effort to try and not dominate the conversation with useless fluff and to allow the other person to interact at an equal level.
I have noticed that as I take the time to listen to people that three very important things have begun to happen:
First, I have developed several new friends and acquaintances. This is happened because the people I am speaking to know that I care about what they are speaking about. I have always cared and looked forward to opportunities to learn, but most often my mouth tended to get in the way.
Secondly, I have had far more opportunities for education. I have learned so much about not only the transportation industry but from the finance and leasing industry as well, from several very seasoned veterans. Five years ago before growing my listening habits, these senior veterans simply would've thought that I am a young punk who knows everything and that I need to be learned through the school of hard knocks. They would've been right.
Finally, this skill has started teaching me patience. For the many who know me, you know that patience is never been one of my virtues. I have always preferred a very fast-paced environment and became easily frustrated (even though most people didn't notice it) when projects did not move according to the timetable that I thought they should be moving at.This skill has also crossed over into my private life as I make time to listen to each of my children. My children, like many other children, do not articulate well they're trying to say and will tend to speak 20 min. to get to a two-minute point but, to them, that two-minute point makes all the difference.
I have thought about all the employees that I had before I learned this skill and realized that many of them had the same issue. It wasn't that they did not have spectacular ideas but it was my own fault that I did not thoroughly listen to them. How much further along with I have been if I would've learned this skill at a much younger age.
When we focus on teaching communication, we teach people how to articulate what they say but unfortunately we do not spend an equal amount of time on teaching people how to listen.
How many opportunities have you let slip by because you didn't listen to the complete story?
How many sales have you lost because he simply didn't listen to the customer’s needs?
How many personal and business relationships have we spoiled because we simply didn't listen?
So in summary, I didn't write a blog yesterday because I wanted to take the time to listen and the feedback that I received was well worth the effort. I learned that I have a very valuable knowledge base and skill set and that a lot of people value not only my abilities, but also who I am as a person. To all these people:
thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment